Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 191 of 365

I asked for some feedback yesterday regarding the direction I've been going with my photography. Got a few great comments and took them to heart. One problem I've been having is trying to get enough light on the subject while keeping the background dark. Too compensate I ended up going darker than I probably should. To help with this I made a snoot to use with one of my work lights. It worked wonders and provided a directional spotlight without bleeding light onto the background. This allowed me to bring the color out on the yarn. This is the same yarn I used last night and the photo turned out one color. Big difference I say...


50mm, f/1.8, 6 second exposure


50mm, f/3.2, 0.5 second exposure


This is the cheap PVC pipe light grid I built last weekend. I can hang my lights and props from it and has expanded my workspace quite a bit and has helped with lighting better.

6 comments:

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

I for one am glad that you forfilled your promise to show us the Loom on which you weave your magic, enthralling.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a difference that makes! It was inspiring to read your interchange with Tim yesterday and I also admire your approach to the learning process. Thanks for sharing.........

Unknown said...

Great shots today! I can't decide which one I like more.

Suselek said...

Yeah, they are great. I love the first one, for color, but the second one has great composition and mystery to it.

Avery Smith said...

I really like them! Thanks for the comment. I think its Mt. Hood.

Aves

Michael said...

Fantastic series with this. And thanks for showing off your new setup. DIY ingenuity to the rescue!