Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day 190 of 365


I like to watch design shows, be it cooking, clothing, interior, exterior, and just about anything else where someone is being creative. I think I like watching the process people go through while coming up with their creation. I was watching one of the many interior design shows the other day and they were shopping for artwork for the new living room. Something about these shows I've noticed...they pick art that always makes me go, "really? it's just white lines on a black background" or "it's just a rectangle canvas split in thirds with three different colors". So I was intrigued. Could I come up with photography that looks painterly?

This is 4 pieces of different colored and textured yarn that I twirled with a 6 sec open shutter. Lighting from a string of Christmas lights from below. One of the pieces of yarn was very feathery so it gave a paint brush like stroke of motion which was cool to see once I downloaded the shots. I'm almost tempted to drag my computer (in lieu of buying a laptop) out into the garage one of these days and shot tethered so I can see what I'm doing on the monitor. The little screen on the back of the camera just doesn't show you enough.

So...any thoughts? I know my style is kind of going in a severe direction from what I've noticed from others doing 365 projects.

6 comments:

Test said...

Hi Rob,
First, I've enjoyed being a quiet onlooker of your 365 project for a few months. It's fun to see the creative and learning process occur in someone that has a similar passion. So, nice work. I particularly like your double-lens macro stuff as well as budget lighting techniques. Way to work with what you've got. Very inspirational. Since you've asked for it, here comes the friendly critique :) I've noticed a lot of your photos looking a bit (maybe) underexposed. What does your histogram look like for this image? This one and others look pretty dark when viewed in my rss feed with a white background. Again, well done and keep it up!

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Thanks for the feedback Tim...much appreciated and I'm very much open to friendly feedback so feel free to give it.

The underexposing is a bit by design (I live by the histogram) and a bit from having troubles getting the right amount of light without overexposing or having the background show. It is something I'm working on. Part of the learning process that still needs a little work :)

Suselek said...

I like your abstract images, and I think if you like it as well, go for it. I kind of agree with Tom- adding a bit more light would make colors more pronounced, and I would like it more. I love abstracts because you can focus on color, rather then shape.

Test said...

Thanks for the reply, Rob. I love your attitude about the learning process. I have a hard time with struggling through the learning process because I want to do it perfectly. I can't do it perfectly because I'm still new to photography, so I limit myself. You, on the other hand, just try stuff and aren't afraid of not getting it perfect. It's all about the learning process. As I said before, it's been inspirational to watch that process. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

...and creativity is more important than technically correct... so go for the look you like.

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

I know exactly where you're coming from Tim. When I first got the camera I was being really selective about what I photographed because I was only looking for the perfect shot. I'd then come home, uploaded them to my computer, and then find crappy photos waiting for me.

I had the camera almost a year and put it down and didn't use it again for almost 3 months because I was so frustrated.

I took a weekend course at a local CC and the instructor happened to be a photographer and a national recognized portfolio reviewer who told us he would give us some honest feedback on some work if we wanted to bring it in.

The advice he gave me shook me out of my inaction and a month later was preparing for this 365 project. The advice? I should go out and sketch with my camera. Sketch as in just go out and take photos of anything and everything. Much like an artist may sit down with a sketch pad and just do free form sketching to warm up...do this with the camera.

I did this and it really helped. One I was taking lots of photos, which helped me learn the camera better and two it helped me develop my eye.

Long comment...sorry about that. You are not alone in your struggles Tim...believe me, we have all gone through them at the beginning and I still have bouts of them as I get to certain points. I find that I get more playful and experimental when I get a wall. :)

Unknown said...

I love reading this blog!

What great comments. Both of you express your points so well.

What I enjoy about your photos Rob is that they are hardly ever about the subject. Instead, they are more often about the light, or the motion. With my photos I can't seem to get away from the subject. No good subject available means I don't want to shoot.

And a lot of your images are very dark, but I actually haven't minded that much at all. Probably not a bad idea to try shooting a bit lighter though, just to make sure you can do it.

Anyway, thanks again for letting me read such a great conversation.