Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Day 91 of 365


To crop or not to crop...in camera that is. I took one photo today and that was walking between classes this evening. Not sure I particularly like the shot but instead of going out into the garage and coming up with something better I thought I'd post this and see if I can figure out what could be better...if anything.

To get it all in I would have had to stand further back, was using my 50mm lens, and with that the lose of the finer details. I could have gone landscape but then the flower would be floating because the stem would have been cut off. If the flower was centered it would have been breaking the dreaded rule of thirds but then also cutting the edges off and that didn't seem appealing at all. What I probably should have done was having a framing card with me and see how it looked out of camera before putting my eye up to the camera.

If you don't know what a framing card is...check out this very helpful photography blog by Marc Silber. Heck if you do know what a framing card is...check out Marc's blog anyway.

4 comments:

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Irrespective of THE RULE, tour rationale seems perfectly sound to me. What you got in addition to the detail, was a floral statement that stands alone, and to think of ditching that beautiful Bokeh, yetch!
Great Shot / decision.

Anonymous said...

I liked hearing your thought process. I use my 50mm a lot so am often in a similar position. I usually take multiple approaches then evaluate later. Do you attempt to work only with a single framing option when shooting a subject?

Thanks for the link to Marc's site - that's in my RSS reader now.

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Last night was an oddity...I usually take several shots of the subject from different angles and then like you pick the one I like the most. Last night I was headed to class and didn't have time to do this so went with one shot with what looked like the best frame. As we all know..what looks good to our eye may not look the best once downloaded to the computer. :)

Thanks again for the comments guys...they really are helpful.

Jen said...

I like the composition of this, actually. Leaving some of the flower out works. Nice.