Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Day 111 of 365


Decided to use some natural light today. Took the lilies I had photographed previously outside and in between wind gusts snapped some shots. I also played around with framing my shots differently. I'm finding my compositions to be consistent, which isn't a bad thing really, but I'm trying to think and see differently in the hopes I can bring my skills to a new level.

This shot probably isn't very different from most of what I've done previously but it's a baby step for me. Instead of zooming all the way in and just making it about the curves on the flower I backed up a little and moved the flower to the side so some of the green leaves could bring some of their own curves into it. Does it work?

6 comments:

Jen said...

This is really beautiful, Rob. Nice job - you're meeting the challenge of pulling back from the uber-close ups quite nicely.

Anonymous said...

I really like the lines that the green leaves in the background provide. Good exercise in seeing beyond the macro macro...

Jason Anderson said...

Probably one of my favorites thus far - very nice colors, bokeh, lighting and composition here...well done!

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Thank you.

I guess I need to drag myself out of the dark garage and use natural lighting more often :)

Anonymous said...

It definately works for me - I like the way it's off to one side and the background really sets off the shot.

Unknown said...

Definitely enjoyed seeing more of the flower. Next time, can we see the whole thing?

Just kidding. Wouldn't want to go TOO far back.