Sunday, April 12, 2009

Day 102 of 365


Took a long walk along the waterfront today. This shot is of an old fenced off pier. The lines, color and random patches of grass caught my eye.

While out walking I had time to think about the last 101 days of photos I've taken and kind of assess where I'm at, where I thought I'd be, what I need to work on and what kinds of photos I want to try over the course of the next 9 months.

I forgot to recap March so here's a short recap.

Total # of photos = 1500
Avg per day = 48.4
Most on one day = 130 (Day 76)
Fewest on one day = 3 (Day 90)

So where am I in my project? Good question. I'm pretty much where I hoped to be at this point. I have the basic camera functions down. I understand how to use aperture, shutter speed, ISO and the like correctly. Manual mode isn't a foreign concept anymore. I still forget to check my white balance settings on occasion but can live with that. The very unexpected interest my project has generated was by far the biggest highlight so far. I've thanked you all before but want to just tell you how much I appreciate the interest and all the great comments, questions and feedback.

So what do I feel I need to work on? I need to expand my horizons. I find myself doing mostly flowers and macro in my lightbox. Not that there is anything wrong with that but I want to start thinking big. Harder than you may think. As a kid I had the smallest handwriting. My teachers would writes notes to my mom about how small my handwriting was. It was small but it was clear, concise and perfect. If I made a mistake I would scrap the entire sheet of paper and start over. Perfectionist? Yeah a little. So for me to think big it will take some willpower. What do I mean by big? Taking photos of the entire object or scene. I find myself transfixed on the small details. Which is great but I think I'm missing the whole picture. I'm not sure how to accomplish this. Will a 50mm or a 70-300mm lens do this? Can I take a photo of an entire car and still make it look good? I also want to do portrait. I have a willing model in my wife but just haven't tried it. I can blame it on wanting to learn how to light better but I don't think that's the reason. I need to get over my complete dislike of being photographed. I may need therapy for that one. It's not like I think I'm a hideous looking guy...I mean I've looked in the mirror and called myself a handsome devil a time or two so I think it's more like how I hate hearing my recorded voice. It doesn't sound like me and photos don't look like me. So that portrait photography may just be my hardest one to do but I will do it...promise.

Sorry this is a long one but if you're still reading I have a site recommendation. I was listening to the 7 Photography Questions podcast and Alan Babbitt was being interviewed. Alan Babbitt is legally blind and was also diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in 2003. He had been doing photography long before being diagnosed but while it may cause some to quit he uses it to his advantage. Check out what he calls Tremor-Enhanced Photography. Very inspiring. The podcast has some great information as well...

4 comments:

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

I love the shot as quite a number of people have suggested I take a long walk off a SHORT Pier. But for me the comments give me so much more. I can't comment on your self diagnosed perfectionism (Your Blog title Give some of it away)
Your next paragraph gives me a tad of concern for myself as what you described as a conscious decision to do certain things describes what I have come to subconsciously.

I relished the depth of the macro function of my 70-300 Sigma lens but find I am using it less and less. My last series of posts have more and more tried to capture the workd at the time I was there. I do not have a good understanding of all the facets of photography that you have mastered. With me it is hit and miss, I try to learn from the good and the bad, but I hang on the comments I receive, from photographers I respect like the breath I breath.
If I like a shot I want to know what others think if it, most of what I have taken pleases me greatly as I am new (Like you) but one or two I really studied the comments as to me they are the only art I have ever created, and that is important for a luddite like I.

Your twxt was a little king which I love and read voraciously, but my comment pays you back I think. Message me if it is too long.
Ron

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Thank you Ron!

This project (or maybe better described as process) has been pretty good for self discovery. Writing along with the photography has really helped. I don't do it as much as I should but I should also be asking myself and others what worked and what didn't work and so on for each photo. It's always cool to see what others find interesting or not so much. Some of my photos I felt were blah and they end up getting the most attention and others I'm really happy with and they get no attention. Heh... :)

Jen said...

Nice work, sweetie - you've come a long way in a few short months.

Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying your photos, your commentary and the links and insights you share. I really like your macro shots and those that focus in on a portion of the image. Two that come to mind are your shot of the ball in the glove, and your wife's dressmaking dummy - both superb in my mind. I am envious of your discipline to learn the basic camera functions - something I need to put more effort into. I've gained a few but it seems I forget as many as I learn. I'm looking forward to the next nine months.