Sunday, April 26, 2009

Day 116 of 365


So I was sitting in the garage trying to come up with today's photo and started thinking about the things I haven't tried yet. Self portrait is something very very low on my list of things I wanted to do but as I was running out of day I decided to just get it over with. First...it's a pain focusing on yourself. I had to turn on a bunch of lights and sit down so the camera could auto focus. Then had to get up to turn off all the lights and hope I sat back down in the chair the correct way so the light hit me right. So here you go...the obligatory self portrait shot on black with side light. Yeah me...

6 comments:

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Outstanding result, remind me nit to say anything uncomplimentary. I was interested in your technique, but I have learned quite a bit from your posts about techniques in a variety of tasks. Shame I can't try that I only have one camera and four lenses, not enough to accomplish the task.

Anonymous said...

Nice to 'meet' you! I like the result - very moody. What did you use for your light?

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

I used an old Vivitar flash that I was holding with my left hand aimed to my left at a piece of white foam board about 4 feet away so the light would bounce back at me and not be direct.

One of these days I'll have a softbox and good flash system with remotes but until then it's me improvising as much as I can.

Jen said...

Hey there, handsome.

Sharon said...

I like the lighting.

Jason Anderson said...

The self-portrait can be a challenging one, for sure, but I like your lighting here. As you rapidly became aware, the focusing issue is a royal p.i.t.a. to deal with when it is YOU that is off camera - should post this in the CB flickr pool - I did a challenge on this a few weeks back ya know! :)