Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Day 90 of 365


There are some incredibly talented musicians that play at the local Farmer's Market. This young lady was playing some very nice music but unfortunately was in kind of a noisy area so was getting drowned out. I was first drawn in by the harp itself with all its curves but then found myself watching the hands and fingers. I dropped a tip into her bag and asked if I could take her photo. The photo is kind of tight but I really wanted to focus mostly on the hands but still bring in some of the curves of the harp, while also trying not to get knocked over by mostly unobservant people walking through the market. Unlike the last time I took a photo of a street performer I remembered to check my white balance setting so this one doesn't have a blue cast.

I think the hardest type of photography I've encountered is street photography. I just can't bring myself to take pictures of people I don't know. There are all kinds of interesting people walking the streets at the market but I feel weird about asking them if I can take their picture, and even weirder just doing it without them knowing. Maybe it's because I stand out in a crowd and can't just blend in with everyone else and take photos ninja style. Hmm...ninja style...that may work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely shot. I like the tight crop and especially the discrete view of the harpist.

I love street photography but like you do not feel comfortable taking photos of strangers.

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

That is a tremendous view of the harp and the glimpse of the harpist has a surreal, svelte look that makes me see her as "The Music"
Lovely shot.

Unknown said...

I also have trouble taking pictures of people on the street. Wish I could just shoot them unapologetically!

I'm secretly jonesing for the Photojojo Super Secret Spy Lens (you attach it to a lens, and it takes a picture 90 degrees from where you point the camera). I don't know how well it works or how practical it would be, and it's pretty expensive for what it does, but wouldn't it be fun?

Anyway, lovely picture of the harpist, as usual. I'm enjoying checking your site for the latest each day.

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Thanks everyone...

I'm a little comforted by the fact I'm not the only one that has troubles taking photos of strangers.