Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Day 69 of 365


So some of you may have heard by now that Scott Kelby visited my site over the weekend and found it interesting enough to include it on his Tuesday News Stuff post. Talk about being blown away...I mean really! Scott Kelby! If I had to list all the people I learn from and would include as an influence he would be at the top of the list. I truly do mean it when I say thank you Mr. Kelby.

As I sat around work today trying to figure out what all this means I came to realize that I just need to stay the course and continue doing what I'm doing. I'm going to have ideas that don't work and I'll post them and explain what didn't work and what I can do to make it work or scrap the entire idea. Hopefully I don't have very many of those days but 365 days is a lot of days of trying to be creative.

Todays photo is of a couple of the petals from the tulips I shot the other day. They were falling off and when I picked them up I found the color blend and texture to be appealing. I also experimented with a new light source. I'm a very small budget photographer. My lighting equipment consists of a homemade lightbox and 4 cheap canister lights from Home Depot. Tonight I grabbed a small book light and used it as fill light. The canister lights can be quite bright so set one to be providing just enough light to see the petals and then used the book light to give it a little more light. I also set my exposure compensation at -2 and shot at 1/8 second at f/5.6.

In the next couple of days I will have my new 50mm f/1.8 and can't wait to see what I can do with that. I may have a few days of adjusting.

Thank you to all of you that took the time to check out my blog.

8 comments:

My Vagabond Heart said...

Congratulations Rob! I visit your blog several times a week, and it never fails to interest me. Your work gives me something to strive towards.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I found your blog through Scott Kelby's site. I must say that it's very inspiring. I attempted a 365 project last year and quit after Day 69, oddly enough. I always have to do post-processing on my images though and have never had anything as beautiful as yours straight from my camera. I'm looking forward to seeing Day 365 and everything in between now and then. I also tweeted about your blog at twitter.com/valjean

Anonymous said...

This is lovely. I must say I really appreciate the shooting information you provided - very informative and helpful to another very small budget amateur...

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Thank you Vicki, Mike and Julie :)

I'm really trying to remember and include shooting information. Not only for people who may be interested but for me to remember if I want to try duplicating down the road.

Mike...the goal for me was to not post process. Looking back at the early days (heh...two months ago seems forever ago) of this project there are plenty of examples of ones I really wanted to correct. Skewed horizon, wrong white balance, not quite focused, etc. Not correcting really made me focus on the camera. Believe me...it was really hard not correcting before posting. Thank you for the tweet as well...

Debra said...

Julie mentioned your blog today on the Elements forum. I am very impressed with your photos and appreciative of the information you take the time to provide.

Suselek said...

Hello, I just "found" your blog by above mentioned Scott Kelby recommendation :) but I love it and I already subscribed it. I am systematically reading maybe 25 so called photo blogs, but hardly any of them really posts photos, especially normal, every-day, home or backyard pictures. Keep up!

Unknown said...

Rob, I also found your blog at Scott's blog. He so often links to great photography sites, but yours was really inspirational in a new way. So much so that I think I'm going to try an adapted version over at my blog, for a month at first, allowing just a little editing to each photo. You see, I'm just not as hard core as you.

I hope you don't mind, or think of me as a copycat. I just am glad to have a concrete reason to shoot every day.

So, thanks again! I can't wait to see what you'll come up with next.

Edmund said...

Congrats Rob, The word is out and I found a link for your blog on the PSE Elements, Village blog site. Great work and I love your style. I also am on a budget and also just bought the 50mm f/1.8 and a used Macro lens. I too am trying for the first time a 365 Blog. Again Great work and keep it up. I'll start to follow your blog.