Sunday, March 15, 2009

Day 74 of 365


Procrastinated quite a bit today so it was more work in the lightbox playing with light painting. Bought my wife some flowers earlier in the week and went with this shot of a Stargazer Lily. I used the same settings from yesterday...10 second exposure at f/3.2. One thing I didn't really mention yesterday was the flashlight. I used a small flashlight much like a Maglite with an opening about the size of a quarter. I wanted to reduce the amount of light coming out even more so I cut a piece of thick cardboard a little larger then the opening, punch a hole in the middle with a small nail and taped it over the end of the light. This allowed me to really concentrate the light on small areas without any bleed over to the background.

One thing I don't like about this particular photo is the flower looks disembodied and floating...should have tried to paint some light on the stem to bring it into the photo.

2 comments:

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

So you have gone over to the dark side, Rob Skywalker - May the Focus be with you.

Danudin Vader.

Anonymous said...

Lovely light effect. I, too, would like to see the stem (or maybe a tight crop from the bottom...).