Thursday, October 29, 2009

Day 302 of 365


Day 302 of 365, originally uploaded by Rob Weiher.

The nice thing about doing this year long project is the ability to experiment and to do so without regret. I mean...why do a picture a day if you aren't going to test your creative and skill boundaries? I remind myself of this everytime I take some photos and just find that I'm not all that excited about any of them for that particular day. Today is one of those days...two different types of eggplant. I took shot at different angles, at an angle vs straight down, and on different surfaces, reflective vs. black fabric.

None really worked for me creatively but I did get to practice more with using the mirrors to light areas that need some extra light.

I was asked if I could show how I setup the shot for Day 301. The main light is just off frame directly above the flower. It's a shop light with a homemade snoot directing the light straight down for a spot light type effect. The mirrors were used to cast some light onto the lower flower petals and the dark glass bottle the flower was in. The bottle was on a silver reflective surface that was slightly turned up closer to the camera so the flower reflection had a slight ripple appearance.


2 comments:

Jérôme Aoustin said...

I really like that eggplant photo, especially the one in the back (I wish the one in the front was a little more defined). Great colors, a little subdued and reminiscent of a still life painting. If it hasn't been cooked yet, I'd experiment more with it :-)

I really enjoy reading about your setups. I'm trying to do the same as I think it's a great way to share one's knowledge and make the community benefit from it. Keep it up Rob!

Claire said...

Love this!