Monday, October 26, 2009

Day 299 of 365


Day 299 of 365, originally uploaded by Rob Weiher.

A couple of weeks ago a couple of my coworkers were trying to take some photos of one of their rings using a small point and shoot and were talking about how bad the photos looked. I mentioned that I was a photographer and would be happy to take a few shots for her and today we finally had the chance to do so. I brought my camera, macro lens, black fabric and a couple of mirrors into the office this morning. It was a nice sunny day and we had a table right next to a south facing window so was able to use natural lighting. I used the mirrors to provide extra lighting where needed and they worked wonderfully. I didn't feel like lugging my tripod around so used the back of a chair for stability. I took some shots at different angles I liked this one the most because you can really see the details.

300mm macro setting, 1/320 sec, f/8, ISO 100

4 comments:

emgower said...

I never get tired of looking at all your beautiful photos.

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Love the sunburst at 9.00 O'clock and the weave of the cloth, every time I try this the focus of the back of the ring is way out, I will persist.

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Thanks Elizabeth :)

Thanks Ron...I'll admit that I was hoping for more depth of field and would have thought that at f/8 I would have had more of the ring in focus. I guess I could have bumped up the ISO a bit and tried it at f/11 or 13 but didn't think about it at the time.

Dan said...

Great shot Rob. I have to add a ring shot to my to-do list for the long winter ahead.