Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Day 294 of 365


Day 294 of 365, originally uploaded by Rob Weiher.

I was heating up some water to make some tea for my wife and thought I'd try to photography steam coming out from the teapot....turned out to be a bit harder than I thought. Will have to read up on the best way to do it. I'm guessing I may have had better luck with my 50mm f/1.8 wide open but wanted more of a closeup so went with the macro lens instead but had to use f/5. Too much light caused the stainless steel to shine too much so tried to isolate light onto the steam itself using mirrors but still not enough. To the naked eye there was all kinds of steam...not so much to the camera.

2 comments:

Dan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan said...

I had the same issue when I tried to photograph a cup of hot coffee. I could see the steam with my eyes, but I could not photograph it. At one point, I thought it might be easier to put a lit cigarette in the cup to create the "steam". I never did go back and do any research to see how best to photograph steam.

If you find any good resources for how to do this, would you mind sharing?


--Sorry for the self-deleted comment above. Too many typos the first time around.