Thursday, October 1, 2009

Day 274 of 365


Day 274 of 365, originally uploaded by Rob Weiher.

This a dried leaf on a sheet of fiber paper with lighting from below. Yesterday's shot was the inspiration for todays shot.

Yesterday's shot was not quite like this...looks kind of like it but it was a paper fiber lamp shade with the leaf skeleton set into the fiber. I sit by the lamp everyday while at the computer but hadn't thought to photograph it until yesterday. I'd been playing with back lighting and leaves last week but I guess I didn't think to try incorporating other textures into the shot until posting last night.

Not sure if anyone is interested but this is my cheap setup for taking these back lit shots. Because I'm using my 70-300mm macro (200-300mm is macro) lens to shoot these I need to have the tripod up kind of high over the shot so have it on the floor and stand on a chair to look through my viewfinder.



Small desk lamp below the round piece of glass which is about a foot off the ground. Fiber paper is on top of the glass and the leaf on top of the paper. The tripod is straddling the setup so I can shoot looking straight down.

4 comments:

Ilan said...

Always fun to see the 'behind the scene'
The result is amazing.
Have you printed (large scale) one of your works? Cause this is a great candidate for such print..

Suselek said...

It is interesting to see your set-up. It never crossed my mind to use the texture in the shot rather then adding in in post-process...

Suselek said...

It is interesting to see your set-up. It never crossed my mind to use the texture in the shot rather then adding in in post-process...

Tim Dustrude said...

I for one am very interested. Glad to see set-up shots all the time. Nice work you do here!