Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day 295 of 365


Day 295 of 365, originally uploaded by Rob Weiher.



I couldn't decide which version I liked or if I even liked them at all. I used nothing but the light above the stove because I wanted that particular look. You know...the early morning I really need my coffee or tea and man that light is bright and kind of sickly looking first thing in the morning look.

For me the portrait version puts more emphasis on the teapot spout without really noticing the fact that it's on a stove while the landscape version does the same but lets you know that it is indeed on a stove. I also shot it with the gas burner on but didn't like how it looked. Aside from not sure of which version I like I've also asked myself these questions?

Does the blurred out clock add or distract from the image? I think it adds to the mood.

Is the bluish light okay? Also a mood factor like I explained in the first paragraph.

Why couldn't my stove be a dark color so I could have tried to include steam? Sorry...not going to buy a new stove for your photo project. Damn!

6 comments:

Jen said...

I'm back and forth on which one I like best - I think I like the composition of the portrait one best then I think I like the landscape one better. I like the mood in them both. But if you do decide to get a new stove, let's get a Viking. It'll have to come w/ us, of course...

Tafari said...

Love both of these & find them comforting. Late night tea comes to mind.

Suselek said...

I like landscape best and I agree completely that the blurred clock adds to the mood. Great idea, great shot.

Jérôme Aoustin said...

I honestly like both, it's a very tough call. The blurred clock is a nice touch, I wouldn't remove it. And the bluish light works very well on the metal, that's actually what attracted me to the photos in the first place. I think it's obvious enough that the teapot is on a stove in the portrait photo, especially with the presence of the clock. I think I'm leaning a bit towards the portrait shot.

Margaret Kane Ward said...

I'm a lurker on your blog, but had to comment on the WHICH I like best aspect of your two photos. I'll be the dissenter and say I like the portrait best. I like the ambiguity of the setting and I really like the color. When I first saw the photo, I thought: more steam photos? And then read the post and liked the photo all the more for what you wanted to say.

As an aside, I'm enjoying your exploration with your camera, even if I pop up to comment out of lurk mode only rarely. :)

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Thanks for all the comments and feedback everyone. :)

Margaret...I'll admit to being a lurker on a number of other photog blogs as well. :)