Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day 279 of 365


Day 279 of 365, originally uploaded by Rob Weiher.

Not the greatest photo but this is a learning process and tonight was my first attempt at multiple objects and multiple light sources. Not a very good job but I was a bit lazy and didn't try very hard. I spent more time trying to draw something with the crayons...yes it's hard to see but it's my best attempt at a self portrait...my drawing hasn't evolved much since I was 3 :)

There's a story behind this setup. The other day I referenced the book, Ignore Everybody: And 39 Other Keys to Creativity by Hugh MacLeod as my inspiration. I quoted the book about avoiding crowds and tried to tell that story via a photo. Tonight my inspiration is the following quote from Ignore Everybody... (Chapter 7). My photo is my "creative" way of expressing my interpretation of the quote.
Everyone is born creative; everyone is given a box of crayons in kindergarten. Then when you hit puberty they take the crayons away and replace them with dry, uninspiring books on algebra, history, etc. Being suddenly hit years later with the "creative bug" is just a wee voice telling you, "I'd like my crayons back, please."
Photography has become my box of crayons. I spent years trying to find my box of crayons. This chapter also talks about your adult voice and your wee voice. The adult voice is the voice of reason, the one that tries to tell you all the things that could go wrong and trying to tell your wee voice to shut the hell up . Your wee voice doesn't care about all that...your wee voice just wants you to do something creative.

I think all of us that have embarked on a 365 project or even those of us just taking photos because they enjoy it, have heard our wee voice at the back door to our soul. Do we let it in? or do we allow our adult voice to prevail? I'm trying very hard to allow my wee voice to take over. How about you?

3 comments:

Jason Anderson said...

Every day my wee voice gets to speak for fewer and fewer minutes lately...I am tired of the adult voice rudely doing all the talking! I miss my wee voice! Thanks for reminding me of its importance Rob...

Tim Dustrude said...

Sounds like a great book!

PG said...

I think I need to get my hands on this book.

that post is so dead on.