Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Day 161 of 365

Sometimes not doing yard work as often as I probably should provides me some material to shoot. This is a tall stalk of some kind of grass. I grabbed one and brought it inside to work with in a control atmosphere instead of fighting the wind. I took plenty of 2 lens reverse macro shots but ended up using this, which was shot with my 50mm. I shot against a black background and bounced my old flash from below. I put a piece of white foam board underneath and pointed the flash down towards it from the right side. I had a homemade snoot on the flash so the light went where I wanted instead of just flooding the whole area with light. I think it worked pretty well.

I'm also posting a few post processed versions. Now that I'm almost half way through this project I think I'd like to occasionally include processed versions along with my unprocessed versions.

This first processed version is straight black & white. While it is pretty much the same as the regular version, the removal of the small amount of color gives it a different feel.


This next version is negative or inverted. I think I should have made it black and white first and then inverted. I think I would have liked it better that way and didn't realize it until I had already posted it to Flickr and started working on this post.

5 comments:

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Either way it is reminiscent of Japanese Calligraphy to my eye.

jo said...

Lovely! I like the hint of color in the first one best.

Suselek said...

I love the inverted image. I think it brings up the shape even more, and it so much more lonely on white background.

Jen said...

Very Zen. I like them all - my favorite is the inverted image. Nice work!

Anonymous said...

An interesting series - I like them all. The delicacy of the grass is appealing.