Sunday, May 17, 2009

Day 137 of 365


While out hiking yesterday I found an intact and empty snail shell and decided to bring it home to shoot. I washed it and oiled it up with some olive oil for some extra shine and to deepen the colors. I initially shot with just one work light shining from the left but I didn't like how it looked so I grabbed a string of Christmas lights sitting on a table in the garage and surrounded the shell with lights. I guess that would be a very cheap version of a macro ring light. This particular shot also has one of the lights sitting in the hole of the shell so it has a bit of an interior glow.

On a different note. Has anyone had any experience with selling their photos online? Has anyone used SmugMug as their marketplace?

3 comments:

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

And then you had it bronzed, or so it seems, great perspective and focus.

Sharon said...

Very cool. I love the colors & lighting.

shaznyv said...

I love this shot. I;m gonna have to try this reverse macro lens.