Friday, May 1, 2009

Day 121 of 365

A rainy day here on the California central coast so thought I'd revisit macro raindrops. Because it was so rainy I decided I better cover my camera. I haven't tried working with a plastic bag cover before so it was a bit awkward but mostly in the manual focusing department. Because I was working with my 70-300mm macro lens at 300mm which has a f/stop of 5.6 minimum I upped my ISO to 400. This gave me around 1/200 to 1/300 of a second shutter speed which I was hoping would give me enough time to get a steady shot. This shot is a little more out of focus than I was hoping for the thankfully the in focus part has the best raindrops so I will call this shot a happy accident.

I think it is to rain the entire weekend so I may explore this some more but somewhere with more interesting material than my backyard.

4 comments:

Celina said...

Very pretty! Love the soft depth. I have only used one of those camera bags once and half the time I ended up getting it in the frame when I was shooting.

Nancy Lovering said...

That's a nice shot :)

I make a small hole in a kitchen catcher, and then stretch it around the end of the lens (so that it fits snug and stays in place). The rest of the lens, camera body and my hands stay in the bag. It's a little awkward, but the camera stays dry and the bag stays out of the way (although sometimes I get little water droplets on the the glass at the end of the lens).

(More often than not, though, I just stay in out of the rain and miss some good shots ;)

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Thank you :)

I grabbed a long plastic bag that our newspaper comes in and cut a hole in the end and stretched it over the end of lens so it was where my lens cover attaches. Not bad and definitely cheaper than buying something made specifically for this. If I still lived in Seattle I may buy one but here a plastic bag will do :)

Anonymous said...

A happy accident, indeed! Really a very lovely shot.