Saturday, May 2, 2009

Day 122 of 365


My inspiration for this was by pic_chiq who has been very helpful and gives great feedback on Flickr. She does a lot of reverse lens shots so tonight I tried my hand at it. Reverse lens you ask...well I did it the hard way which is to have one lens attached to my camera and turn another lens around and hold it for dear life against the end of the attached lens. No autofocus so moving the camera back and forth trying to get the subject in focus is the only way. I was literally less than an inch from the paper snowflake so this is extreme macro. The above photo is one of the end pieces you can see in the photo below.

There are easier ways to do this. You can get a reverse lens mount so you can attach your lens directly to the camera backwards. You can also get a focus rail, which aren't cheap, so you can move the camera back and forth on the tripod instead of moving the object or tripod, to get the correct focus. Here's a site with a little more info.

I think the next time I try this it will be with flowers.

5 comments:

Lavender Rise said...

This is very cool! I'm going to have to try it soon. My 365 is becoming very unispired these days. I'll be doind it the way you did it though.

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Super Superb Rob, thanks for the explanation, way smooth.

Anonymous said...

That is amazing! Thanks for the link and your explanation, and for showing the whole image too. I've heard of this before but wasn't brave enough to try. Maybe now... ;-)

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Thanks for the comments :)

One suggest I received that I will try next time is to tape the two lenses together so you don't have to hold them together and worry about dropping or slipping enough to let light in. Use a tape that won't leave a residue like gaffers tape. Of course a reverse ring would also work but the tape trick is cheaper :)

Michael said...

Fascinating stuff, very cool Rob!