Saturday, January 3, 2009

Day 3 of 365

Sometimes an idea just looks so much better in your minds eye then it does after taking the photo. I've driven past this small building that was once a snack bar outside a large motor pool hundreds of times and each time find myself thinking it would be a good photo opportunity. Not so much but this is a learning experience and I need to post a picture.

Why am I taking pictures of decaying buildings with a pair of Army boots out in front? I've asked myself that very same question and the only answer I can come up with is...because this old Army base has a story to tell. I was in the Army for 8 years and have been out now for 15 years. I don't really think about it much but when I was brainstorming for my 365 Project the thought of using a pair of my old jungle boots as a prop just popped into my head. The idea is not some anti-war protest but rather the idea that this old Army base was swarming with soldiers 15 years ago and now most of it is just falling down and being scavenged for copper pipes by tweakers (speed/meth addict). In the middle of all this is a college campus trying its best to become a part of the community that just sees the place as the old Army base.

Lessons learned:
  • Just because you think a setting may work, it may not due to just being uninteresting upon further review or available lens may just not give you the desired look. Either think of a different way to approach it or move on to something else.
  • Need to look at location at different times of the day to find when the lighting is the best. This building is west facing so in the morning the front is in shadows and in the late afternoon the sun is fully on it.

No comments: