Thursday, January 1, 2009

Day 1 of 365

I've set a goal for myself to take at least one photo a day for the entire year of 2009. This was set in motion by a conversation I had on Twitter recently. I've had my Canon 30D since October 2007 and have read tons of book, subscribed to several magazine, read blogs, listen to podcasts but feel like I never take as many photos as I should be taking. Using the tips found on Jason Webber's blog I will post one unedited, straight from the camera photo per day. The only changes I will make is saving from RAW to JPG.

This blog will undergo some changes as I go so what you see today is just a rough draft.


I live on Ft. Ord, an old Army base decommissioned back in 1992 and now a college campus. There are several old military buildings still standing so I decided my theme, initially, would be taking advantage of the setting. I served in the Army for several years and while I don't really think about it all that much these days the concept of using my old Jungle Boots as a prop intrigued me. My daily shots for now will be my concept shots for a larger project I'm brainstorming.

Lesson(s) learned
  • Instead of pulling out my tripod I can adjust ISO to increase shutter speed
  • I don't have to make drastic ISO changes...start at 100 and move it up until I can safely shoot handheld...in this case the ISO only needed to be 250.
Equipment
  • Canon 30D
  • Sigma AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Macro

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

day one looks pretty good!
Happy New Year and best of luck with your Year of Photos!

The Broms said...

I'm peeking over from the flikr group and want to say I love your theme. It will be fun to check in on you now and then :)

Tafari said...

I love the idea of using your boots in shots as a project. This 1st image is very striking!

Tafari

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Thanks everyone...I need to get out and take more boot photos it appears :)