Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Day 13 of 365

I was inspired to take a photo of the moon this evening. I've tried to take a photo of it before and it always turned out looking like a big ball of light so tonight I was bound and determined to get it right. I'm posting two photos. The first is my unedited photo of the moon and the next is 8 photos combined to show my progression of shutter speed settings until I got it right.

300mm, ISO 100, f/5.6, 1/80


From left to right (all at 300mm, ISO 100, f/5.6) 1/4000, 1/2000, 1/1000, 1/800, 1/500, 1/320, 1/200, 1/125

I'm sure there was an easier way to do this. I didn't include the completely washed out photos as there were many while I played around with using Shutter Priority setting. Once I switched to Manual and paid attention to all the blinking numbers and the Exposure Compensation readings. My only disappointment was not deciding to do this a couple nights ago when it was a full moon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are fabulous! I have never had success snapping the moon. You do such a beautiful job!
--Karen (VB Vikingirl)

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Thanks...believe me...it took several shots and lots of trial and error to get those shots. The dark to light moon composite was me trying to figure out how long to leave the shutter open.