Thursday, February 19, 2009

Day 50 of 365

I drive by this old brick building that I can't really figure out what purpose it may have served when this was still an Army base but it's intrigued me for years. Today I finally decided to pull over and check it out on my way back to work from lunch. What inspired me finally was flipping through The Tao of Photography: Seeing Beyond Seeing by Philippe L. Gross and S.I. Shapiro and saw a closeup photo of a broken window in black and white. You'd think the subject would be boring but it was, as the quote I have above by Irving Penn, effective. So with this new inspiration I pulled out the boots and walked up to the building, walked inside and found what to me was a perfect setting for what was in my head. This is straight out of the camera and only one thing I would like to change in post. There are a few little light glares off small pieces of glass in the shadow area and I could have just kicked out of the way if I had noticed them.

I decided to leave it in color because I felt it was close enough to black and white anyway because of the way the light is shining through the really dirty glass and the natural light coming through the broken parts of the window.

No comments: