Friday, September 25, 2009

Day 268 of 365


Day 268 of 365, originally uploaded by Rob Weiher.

There are very few cheap events in the Monterey area so I try and take advantage of the cheap or in this case free ones when I can. This week is Cherry Jubilee, which is a vintage hot rod show at different venues around the area. Today it was in downtown Monterey so I walked around and took some photos. I'm not a car person really but I do enjoy looking at vintage hot rods. Put a fancy European mid life crisis car next to a vintage hot rod and I'll not even look at the European car.

While I enjoyed looking at the cars I didn't really enjoy the photography experience. It's frustrating in this type of venue, which was on a street and in a large parking lot. People milling around all over the place so you had to wait for people to move out of the way and because of the incredible shine on the cars it was hard not getting reflections that don't make for good photos. Some cars were in the shade while some were in direct sunlight. What I'd really like to do is one day photograph one of these cars in a controlled setting. Out of all the car photos I took today I chose this one because even with all the things going on in it, like the reflections and the bokeh background it gave me a "this could be in a magazine" kind of feeling. I could be wrong on that assessment but I do like to dream :)

Shot with my 50mm f/1.8 at 1/500 sec, f/1.8, ISO 100

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob,
I learned that a circular polarizer works great for reflections on cars. After trying so many times I just figured that out.

Suselek said...

I agree with you- the reflections make the image. This is a great shot.

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Thanks :)

I did have a circular polarizer on my telephoto lens but didn't think to rotate it to see about removing some reflections. I'll try that next time...thanks.

Mark said...

nice composition