Saturday, September 19, 2009

Day 262 of 365


Day 262 of 365, originally uploaded by Rob Weiher.

I was going to use this grape leaf between two sheets of glass like I've been doing the past couple of days but the leaf doesn't like to lay flat. I was determined to figure out a way to back light the leaf and came up with the following. Grabbed two items with flat tops of equal height, set them apart about a foot and draped them in black fabric. Places a sheet of glass on top of the makeshift stand. Put a small office lamp, the kind with the flexible neck, underneath and pointed the light up. The light was about a foot below the glass . After taking some shots of just the top of the leaf I noticed the reflection and wondered how it would look. I think it looks spiffy.

I've been really bad about posting my camera settings but for today they were 1/50 sec, f/8.0, ISO 100 and to bring out the colors more I used the sunlight white balance setting.

4 comments:

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Wonderful shot Rob, As a thumbnail it looked just like a shot of a Red Lit Grotto, but the leaf is a treat all on it's own.

Flowers said...

Your blog looks wonderful. It was nice going through your blog. keep it up the good work.

Mark said...

very nice ... large amount of spiff... ;-)

Anonymous said...

The reflections are stunning. I want to try my hand at some reflective shots and I'll be sure to note your comments to help guide me! Thanks so much for sharing.