Thursday, September 17, 2009

Day 260 of 365


Day 260 of 365, originally uploaded by Rob Weiher.

Not sure what kind of dried leaf this is...maybe some kind of birch? We have various dried leaves around the house and I've been wanting to figure out a way to photograph them with light coming from behind. Today I brainstormed the idea of putting the leaf between two pieces of glass, in this case a piece of glass and a piece of plexiglas, and light from an angle so it's not straight on light. The two pieces of glass weren't the best, scratched up and couldn't get entirely dust free. I put the leaf between the two pieces and taped it together and then stood them straight up so I could shoot straight into the leaf. The light was above and slightly behind about 3 feet up from the leaf. The background was about 2 or so feet behind the setup. Other than the scratches and dust that you can see in the photo I think it came close to how I wanted it to look. I'll continue to play with this but want to get two regular pieces of glass, maybe about 8x10 and wear clean cotton gloves when handling as to not scratch and smudge the glass.

Below is a cleaned up version. I removed the dust specks and scratches that I could find on the glass. Did a slight levels adjustment and a high pass sharpen to bring out the wrinkles and serrated edge more.

3 comments:

Mark said...

The lighting is great in this shot... I like the mood many of your photos create.......

Anonymous said...

Such an interesting glow in that second shot!

shaznyc said...

Love the texture her. Nice colour too.