Sunday, November 15, 2009

Day 319 of 365


Day 319 of 365, originally uploaded by Rob Weiher.

I went out this evening for the sole purpose of photographing the sunset. I decided to head down to Asilomar beach in Pacific Grove as it has the best unobstructed view locally. One of these weekends I need to head down the Big Sur coast and try for a sunset but this was more of a, "let me get the settings down" event.

This shot was about 30 minutes after the sun set and I was pretty happy that I was able to get the blue streaks to show in my photograph. Maybe I don't watch enough sunsets because I hadn't seen that before.

While I like the colors I'm really getting irritated with the softness of my photos, the level of noise (banding) and my dirty sensor. The sensor is my own fault because I just haven't taken it in to get cleaned or bought a kit to clean it myself. Most of the time I don't notice it but I sure do when doing landscapes. The softness and noise is most likely from cheap lenses. That I'll just have to live with until I can save up for a good lens or two. I just need to decide what I want, that will get used regularly. I'm not one of those that needs to buy one of everything and never use them all. He/she with the most toys doesn't make them a better photographer in my opinion.

If you enjoy landscape and/or sunset photos I'd recommend checking out these two photographers.

Fort Photo on Flickr - Michael has helped me tremendously along my photography journey by giving advice and encouragement along the way. His wildlife, nightscapes and landscapes are up there with the big named pros in my opinion.

John Barbs on Flickr - This young man from Guam has a bright future ahead of him. His seascapes inspired me to give them a try. I have a long ways to go compared to him.

2 comments:

Dan Perovich said...

Great shot Rob. Wish I was closer to the ocean. Let us know if you ever figure out what those blue streaks in the sky are.

Unknown said...

Noise is unlikely to come from cheap lenses . . . as far as I know. What ISOs are you using?