Sunday, December 20, 2009

Day 354 of 365


Day 354 of 365, originally uploaded by Rob Weiher.

Now that I'm almost done with my 365 Project I really need to start focusing on what I believe is my "style". I've always been drawn to texture, simple abstract and details. So instead of playing at trying to do wildlife, landscape or any of the other various styles I've experimented with this past 12 months it's time to put those aside and really start digging into my strengths.

Today was my first day of my new direction. It didn't start out that way but when I went out to take some photos I found myself being drawn to what you see posted today. Simple, slightly abstract with a focus on details.

So what do you think? Is my assessment of my strengths about right? As I draw to a close on my 365 Project I want to move forward in the next year and really focus on what I think I do best. Does this mean I'll never do another wildlife shot, landscape or portrait? Nah...I'm sure I'll still take them on occasion but it's not going to be my focus.

Here are a few other shots from today. I had a hard time choosing my actual photo of the day. A few of these below have been touched up a bit in Photoshop...like the vine that was turned into a black and white shot.
















6 comments:

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

The direction is only for you to decide, I will say however that I have enjoyed taking your journey with you in 2009, and will follow on in 2010. I never understood all the endeavours you made but learned a lot just from seeing them, I don't think I have a strength,(or want one),diversity is ALL for me - but that is ME.

Sharon said...

You make beauitful images. I really love the color of the blue wall.

Unknown said...

I think your analysis of your strengths is pretty accurate. Not that you can't do other types of work, but that you don't seem drawn to them or to enjoy them as much.

So yeah, follow your passion. No point in doing otherwise. I look forward to seeing your future work, and your evolution as a photographer. I hope you will continue to update this blog even after your 365 project is over.

Unknown said...

PS I keep wanting to straighten that blue image. Otherwise I really like it. Did you shoot it at an angle on purpose?

And since I know you don't do post on your photo of the day, did you underexpose to get such a saturated blue? Or did you bump up the saturation in camera? Just curious.

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Thanks Ron, Sharon and Jessica :)

Jessica...the wood slats were a bit skewed so went with it. The building was a small shack on a wharf used as an office for a whale watching tour boat. It was painted with the really vibrant blue mostly to attract attention as it was on the furthest dock from land. I was down there right before sunset so it was empty and I sat down on the ground and just took shots of different parts of the ivy on the wall and played with settings trying to get as close to the actual color of the blue as I could get. I decided to play with the white balance settings as well to see what I could come up with. I think it really came down to my tinkering with settings and the light, which was fading causing a bit of a pinkish hue to the overhead clouds. Probably not something I'll be able to duplicate again.

I was using my 50mm prime set at f/1.8, 1/160 sec, ISO 100

Ingrid said...

All of them are beautiful. I really like the last one.