Wednesday, March 3, 2010

White Crane


white crane in b&w, originally uploaded by Rob Weiher.
If you're a regular to my site you'll notice a bit of a change. I've been wanting to change the template for a while now because I didn't like how the old one limited the size of my photos so much. I'm still playing around with the template and will probably change the orange to something less orangey.

This shot was taken a while back and while cleaning up my 365 archive I wanted to see if I could take it from being a blown out throw away photo to something more appealing. After converting it to black and white and cropping to remove excess tree branches I started to see it come together.

- Converted using the black and white adjustment layer (neutral density preset).
- Used a new technique I just learned that uses the Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. Create a Hue/Saturation layer and change blend mode to Color. Create another Hue/Saturation layer and move the Saturation slider all the way to the left. Switch back to the other Hue/Saturation layer and adjust the sliders as needed.
- For extra contrast added a Curves layers and used the Increase Contrast preset.
- Did a little dodge and burn on the bird where needed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your use of negative space here. Bravo!

Jen said...

So very Zen. This would like nice on one of our living room walls, don't you think? :)

Julie C. said...

That is very Zen, very Japanese. Fantastic!