Sunday, March 21, 2010

Diptych


reaching for the sun, originally uploaded by Rob Weiher.
I've been wanting to try doing more creative post work for a long time and have finally gotten around to playing with diptychs.

What is a diptych? It's a photograph that uses two different or identical images side by side to form one single artistic statement. The two images can literally be in contact with each other, or separated by a border or frame. It isn't limited to photographs and has been used for centuries in other art forms.

I have a few people I'm using as inspiration on these and have lots to learn. It's not limited to using the same scene or even colors. As you can see in the top image I just used two shots of the same scene. The one below I wanted to see how two different shots with the same basic theme (waterdrops) would look together. Not exactly sure how I feel about it yet.

3 comments:

Christina, Sweden said...

the first diptych is great, the photos match very well
the second one - waterdrops on both but not much in common
in my mind the diptychs match one another well as in the firts one wich is great!

Christina, Sweden

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Thanks for the feedback Christina. This is a new design concept for me so finding what works and doesn't work is still a little trial and error. :)

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

What a great day for me, twp days away and I come back to terrific posts by both you and Grant, deffinitely my lucky day.