Thursday, December 31, 2009

Day 365 of 365


Day 365 of 365, originally uploaded by Rob Weiher.

I thought for my last photo of my 365 Project I'd go back to where it all began. If you haven't followed along since day 1 I'll recap real quick. A couple of weeks before the end of 2008 I had the grand idea of doing this project. To get me started I came up with the idea of taking my old Army jungle boots around to various places around Ft. Ord, which is mostly abandoned and now the site of a California State University campus. My very first shot was of my boots on these steps. So here it is...a self portrait of my ugly unshaven mug wearing my boots sitting on the steps. 

Before I do my project after action review I'd just like to thank all my friends and family for being so encouraging and helpful. I've made so many new friends along the way I can't really name all of you but I'd like to especially thank my wonderful wife, Jennifer, for providing me with the creative spark and having a whole lot of patience for my process. I love you Jen...thanks for inspiring me.


So...I took 365 photos and posted them to this here blog over the last year. I've been asked for some tips on how to do a 365 Project. Here is what I've told a few people. This is what helped me and I'm sure if you ask any number of other 365 Project participants they will say some of or something completely different from me.


1. You have to figure out what your goal for the project is. My goal was twofold. Learn how to use my camera as if it was an extension of myself and to develop my creative eye.


2. Have fun. If it becomes a chore and believe me it will start to feel like it at some point you have to bring yourself back to the fun part.


3. Experiment/Explore. When I started to feel like it wasn't fun I would start experimenting with different techniques. I played with fire, smoke, open shutter zoom, water drops, moving objects with shutter open (see Day 203 as an example), intentional blur, reverse lens macro, bokeh, bokeh and intentional blur, different lighting setups and so on.


4. Take walks. I would try and get out of the house at least once a week and go someplace local and walk around taking photos as if I was a tourist. Sometimes I would pick something to focus on like finding colorful things, or textures, or nothing but flowers.


5. Look at lots of photos. I found it helpful to find other photographers blogs and Flickr sites and look at what they were doing. Sometimes it would spark an idea. If you see something you enjoy and want to know how they did it...ask. Most photographers are happy to share how they did something with you.


6. Explore the different styles. I knew coming into this that I don't have the patience (or equipment for that matter) for wildlife or the eye for landscape but I still tried to learn how to take the best possible photo in those styles as I could. My biggest failure of my project was not exploring portrait more. I don't like having my picture taken (I don't like how I look at all in photos) so I don't find portrait photography interesting. Interesting enough my first paid photo shoot was a portrait...go figure. Other styles to explore...food, macro, still life, sports (I wish I had done more sports), and I'm sure there are others I've missed. I think fine art macro and still life are my strongest styles and what I'm drawn too.


7. Learn from your mistakes and make mistakes to learn from. This kind of ties in with experimenting and exploring. I tried things that were complete failures but on occasion I discovered how to do something that turned out great. Don't go out expecting to only take good photos...go out expecting to take as many photos as you can while still putting some effort into making them good. Before I started this project I would take my camera out and only take a few photos and when I would get home I would find that they all sucked. Now I go out and if I see something I find interesting I take several of that one subject but from different angles and settings. At least to start I would recommend doing this. As my creative eye got better and I learned my camera I could look at something and know what would be the best angle and settings and take only a few of the subject but it took a while to get to this point and I wouldn't have gotten there if I hadn't taken so many shots at the start.


8. Have I mentioned to have fun yet? Seriously...have fun


I think that pretty much wraps up my tips for a successful 365 Project. Good luck for those that are considering doing it. Feel free to leave a comment with your blog address if you do and I'll follow along.


Thanks again and have a safe and happy New Year.

11 comments:

Marianne Skov Jensen said...

Congrats on following through! Thanks to Google Reader, I've been enjoying your journey :-)

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Like the hair cut, and good to see the roots are strong and bursting out of the chin, like mine.

MaggieGem said...

Thanks for sharing your experience and tips! I truly admire your ability to sit it through and complete this project. I started a 365 in June and abandoned it within two months time.

I plan on starting again with the new year, and maybe this time I'll actually complete it!

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I just happily stumbled onto your photos and just finished a 365 project of my own.Wonderful images and a fine bunch of tips.

Unknown said...

Rob - congrats on completing the project.

Will you continue?

rednikki said...

I've really enjoyed your 365 project. I've thought of doing one of my own, but my focus right now is my writing and I'm not sure I can do both!

Andy C said...

Congrats on finishing and thanks for sharing your journey and tips...

Donna Rosser said...

Great blog and great advice -- I just started my 365 today!

http://tbp365.blogspot.com

Jen said...

What ugly mug? Okay, unshaven, but I think it's a nice mug. I am so proud of you for following through on this project. Even when you were dog tired, uninspired or grumpopotamous, you took photos every single day without fail. This was a huge accomplishment, you have learned a TON - and wow, have you mastered that camera. It has been so much fun watching your creative process unfold like a lotus flower opening, and I've been tickled to see what you have discovered about yourself. Things I already knew: you are creative, innovative (your frugal DIY solutions to not having a huge equipment budget are so cool!) and tenacious when you are inspired. I love being able to see the world through your unique vision. Good job, sweetie. I love you.

Mark said...

Congratulations on the end of an interesting journey ... I've enjoyed watching the trip.....

Mr. Salad Bowl said...

Ack...I realized I done forgot to thank all of you for the kind words.

Donna...I've added your 365 blog to my Google Reader and will check it regularly. I've been bad at leaving comments but I'll do my best :)